Friday, September 24, 2010

Just Me and My Hohner Blues Harp


Tonight is my first night in this house sans-Carl and it is notably quieter and yup, I'll admit it...a bit lonesome.  So to start my alone-time off with a bang and not wallow in lime-green loneliness (hanging out in my room), I decided to tackle one of my "I'll have SO much free time in Wrigley I'll be able learn lots of new skills!!" projects. The harmonica. I was given a Beatles--Greatest Hits songbook by a friend before I left and purchased a Hohner Blues Harp to go with it.

So, I have been sitting here attempting to squeak out just one note at a time (mostly though, I'm nailing at least three at once) in a sequence that somewhat resembles a song. When I finally hear a recognizable tune eke through, I have a tendency of pulling the harmonica away from my lips to sing the rest of the melody (like an impulsive 6 year old, yeah.). Because of my amateur abilities---the only songs I can play out of my book are "With a Little Help From My Friends" and "Nowhere Man".

Could this situation be the 'i.e.' of the word, counterproductive, in a dictionary? See below...


coun-ter-pro-duc-tive
[koun-ter-pruh-duhk-tiv]


-Adjective
thwarting the achievement of an intended goal; tending to defeat one's purpose: i.e. playing "Nowhere Man" poorly on a Harmonica as a conscious and eager effort to avoid loneliness is counterproductive.




To be honest and to prevent you from worrying that I'm headed straight into depression, I have to say that I'm actually really enjoying my evening of tea-sipping and harmonica-playing! Which is good, because this very well may be a typical Friday night for me. That being said, I'm definitely looking forward to dinner-and-movie-night with Kent and Brooke tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Life is filled with irony. Step back, smile and jump back in (preferably while holding someone's hand - literally or figuatively). Good thoughts being sent your way!

    ReplyDelete