The last couple of weeks here have flown by and from what Kent and Brooke tell me...the whole year passes by like that. We had a couple of visitors at the school this past week...a Dene woman from Fort Simpson did activities with the older kids that focused on the phases and roles they pass through as they age from infants to elders. She gave each student (and staff!) an animal card and then explained what the strengths and characteristics of their spirit animal were. It was really neat, because most of the characteristics she referenced fit the card-holder's personality well. The kids were totally engaged and more respectful than we've seen them be with a presenter this year!
A few members of the Human Rights Commission also came that day to talk about the rights we have and often take for granted...and related them to the conditions kids live in in other parts of the world. The speakers had pictures and videos to share--which were key in capturing the class' attention.
Brooke and Kent held a family literacy night on Thursday. Only about 5 community members came (more than expected), but we all played literacy bingo while sipping hot cocoa and split up into pairs to read books.
On Friday, the helicopter pilot from Devonian Metals landed his chopper in the baseball field at the end of the school day. The school made their way outside to hear about what it takes to become a pilot/engineer, some of the mechanics of the machine and...most importantly....to take turns sitting inside talking into headsets and trying on the pilot's $5000 helmet. Just 5 minutes after the pilot informed us that a new, stripped-down helicopter costs $2 million dollars, one of the older boys stepped down from the chopper saying, "I'm going to ask my dad to by me one of those!!". Haha. They really loved it.
And Friday night, we had the first of Chief Julian Yendo School's weekly movie nights. I really enjoyed sitting with the kids and laughing along while we watched "The Diary of a Wimpy Kid"....eating popcorn and drinking sugary iced tea. It went well!
I will be house-sitting for a woman in town this next week (I did it for two nights last week as well) while she visits her daughter in Hay River. It will be a good way to make a connection with a community member and it will be nice to stay in a cozy, full-furnished home for awhile! I have a few concerns (i.e.-the reason she wants someone staying there is because her home has been broken into while she was away in the past. It is her belief...and I agree...that if I am there with lights on, that won't happen), but it will add some flair to my upcoming week and I'm happy to be getting to know Mary.
The weather has been absolutely beautiful and today is no exception. It's probably close to 17 degrees, sunny and calm. I'll be heading out for a run in just a few minutes...in shorts and a t-shirt!
This coming week, school staff will be preparing a Thanksgiving feast for the students! That should be fun....and as soon as school is out on Friday--Kent, Brooke and I will be heading down to Yellowknife for the long weekend where we will enjoy the creature comforts of a big city for two days. I'm really looking forward to seeing the NWT's capitol city!
No comments:
Post a Comment